- You are the lowest in the army; always bow and salute everyone first!
- When called, respond with a loud voice.
- Never be later than your comrades.
- Always carry mop and broom at daily cleaning sessions.
- Always do the squad leader’s laundry first.
- Eat all meals within three minutes. Keep toilet visits short.
- Keep your nails trimmed and your personal shelf tidy.
- Always be quickest to fall in.
- In case of insufficient members to line up, bring along one from another unit to make up the numbers.
SOURCE: Guns of February: Ordinary Japanese Soldiers’ Views of the Malayan Campaign & the Fall of Singapore 1941-42, by Henry Frei (Singapore U. Press, 2004), p. 12